- 16 million children (1 in 5) in the U.S. struggle with hunger.
- Nearly half of all people who use the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP or food stamps) are kids.
- 21 million U.S. kids receive a free or reduced-price school lunch, but only half of those kids also get breakfast, even though they’re eligible.
- Only 1 in 7 kids who get free and reduced-price school lunches also receive summer meals.
- Hunger has a huge effect on how a child performs at school. In fact, 9 out of 10 teachers say having a healthy breakfast is key to academic achievement.
Let’s turn these facts into fiction!
To celebrate My Little Foodies’ first birthday blogging, join us and other local food bloggers, bakers, and local food personalities this Saturday, May 4th at the Cook’s Warehouse at Ansley Mall (1544 Piedmont Road) from 9 a.m.-1p.m.,for a delicious bake sale supporting Share Our Strength’s No Kid Hungry initiative to end childhood hunger in America.
If you cannot make it to the sale, I encourage you to host one of your own bake sales. Get into the kitchen with your Little Foodies, let them get their hands dirty, and teach them about how lucky they are to eat healthy and delicious meals every day!